Mac & Cheese Burger
Choosing between a burger or mac and cheese isn't a fair choice -so why not enjoy both with the kids for dinner tonight with this easy to make macaroni and cheese burger?
- 4 Wonder® White Hamburger Buns
- 2 1/2 cups (625ml) macaroni
- 3 tbsp. (45ml) butter
- 3 tbsp. (45ml) all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. (5ml) dry mustard
- ½ tsp. (2ml) salt
- 1/4 tsp. (1 ml) pepper
- 1 1/2 cup. (375ml) milk
- 2 1/2 cup (625ml) grated cheddar cheese
- 900g (2 lbs) ground chuck
- 2 tsp. (10ml) seasoning salt
- 1 tsp. (5ml) garlic powder
- 1 tsp. (5ml) onion powder
- ½ tsp. (2ml) pepper
- Optional toppings: tomato, lettuce
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 25 minutes | Total Time: 35 minutes
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add macaroni and cook for 8 minutes or until al dente or according to package directions. Drain and reserve.
- While the macaroni is cooking, in another medium pot melt the butter over medium heat being careful not to brown.
- Add flour, mustard, salt and pepper and whisk for 1 minute.
- Slowly pour in the milk, whisking constantly so no lumps form. Bring to a boil and stir for 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the cheese until melted.
- Add the drained macaroni to the sauce and stir until combined.
- Preheat BBQ to high heat.
- While the BBQ is preheating, mix the beef and seasonings in a large bowl. Divide into 4 equal portions. Being careful not to over-handle, form each portion into a burger shape.
- Grill burgers on an oiled grill over high for 10-12 minutes or until cooked through, turning occasionally.
- When the burgers are fully cooked, place 1 patty on the bottom half of a Wonder® hamburger bun. Top with a spoonful of Mac & Cheese, and garnish with your toppings of preference (tomato, lettuce etc.).
TIP: The Mac & Cheese can be fully prepared, cooled, covered and refrigerated the day before.