Smash Burger Stack with “Secret Sauce”
Serves 4 / 40 mins
- 4 Wonder® Non-GMO Project Verified White or Whole Wheat Hamburger Buns
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp. ketchup
- 2 tbsp. smokey BBQ sauce
- 1 tbsp. mustard
- Salt and pepper
- 1.5 lb ground beef (preferably medium), divided into 8x 3oz balls
- 1 tbsp. canola or vegetable oil
- 8 slices cheddar cheese (optional)
- 8 dill pickle slices, 1 tbsp. juice reserved
- 1 tomato, sliced in 4
- 4 red onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup Iceberg lettuce, thinly sliced
- 4 tbsp. butter, softened (optional)
Prep Time: 25 minutes | Cook Time: 15 minutes | Total Time: 40 minutes
- In a small bowl, combine mayo, ketchup, BBQ sauce, mustard, and 1 Tbsp. dill pickle juice. Set aside.
- Heat a large electric griddle, cast iron griddle or large frying pan to medium-high heat. If necessary, work in batches of 4, so there is ample space to smash/flatten the patties. Season the ground beef balls generously with salt and pepper.
- Oil the pan, and place the balls of ground beef on the griddle. Using a large heatproof spatula, press down firmly on each ball, smashing it into a patty. Leave patties untouched on the griddle about 3 minutes, until the edges are starting to brown and caramelize. Apply firm pressure to each as they cook.
- Flip the patties and place cheese on top immediately. Patties will likely need only another 2 minutes on second side. Remove from griddle, and set aside warm place. Drain the fat and wipe griddle to repeat with remaining patties if required.
- If desired, butter the interior slices of the buns, and toast on a clean griddle about 30-60 seconds, rotating frequently until evenly browned and toasted.
- To assemble, spread 1-2 Tbsp. secret sauce on each half of the buns. Stack 2 patties on bottom bun, followed by sliced tomato, pickles, onion, shredded lettuce, and top bun.