Vietnamese Wonder Banh Mi Sandwich (Cold Cut Filling)
This is a Wonder Bread twist on a classic Vietnamese Cold Cut Banh Mi Sandwich, but you could also do different fillings based on what you're feeling—from satay beef to lemongrass chicken and more.
For the Sandwich
- Wonder® White Hot Dog Buns
- Pickled Carrots and Daikon (Đồ chua)
- Cucumber Slices
- Jalapeño Slices
- Vietnamese Chả Lụa (pork, sandwich slices)
- Head Cheese (sandwich slices)
- 1-2 of your favourite cold cuts (ham, turkey, etc., sandwich slices)
- Pork Liver Pate (you can get an herb one to add extra flavour to the sandwich)
- Vietnamese Mayonnaise (Sốt Bơ Trứng) or regular mayo or butter
Prep Time: 30 minutes (pickling - 1 hour up to 2 days) | Cook Time: 5 minutes (to assemble) | Total Time: 35 minutes
- Peel daikon and carrots, julienne into matchsticks. Place in a bowl and coat with salt. Let soak for about 10 minutes. Then rinse to remove salt, squeeze out any extra moisture. Add to a jar.
- To make vinegar for pickling: Boil 1/2 cup of water, add 4 tbsp of white sugar, mix to dissolve, then add 4 tbsp of vinegar. Mix again. Note sugar/vinegar ratio can change depending on whether you want your pickled vegetables sweeter or tangier.
- Pour into the jar to just submerge veggies. Place the lid on and store at room temperature for approximately 2 days (or more depending on how pickled you want it).
- Slowly add drops of 1/2 cup of neutral cooking oil (like a canola or vegetable) to 1 egg yolk and mix until oil binds with egg and forms creamy mayo consistency.
- Mix in 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tbsp sugar, 1/2 tsp garlic powder (or fresh minced garlic).
- Regular mayonnaise or butter also works as an alternative.
- Toast the Wonder® White Hot Dog Buns to get an extra crunch / crusty texture on the outside but with a soft inside. (Typically Vietnamese sandwiches are made with crusty baguettes but we're showing how you can have some fun with the pantry staple hot dog bun!)
- Open bun and spread mayo on one half and pate on the other half.
- Layer on your cold cut meats.
- Add pickled daikon and carrots.
- Top with sliced cucumbers, cilantro and Jalapeño (if you want a spicy kick)
- Close and enjoy!