Mac & Cheese Burger
Serves 4 / 35 mins
- 4 Wonder® Whole Wheat or White Hamburger buns
- 2 1/2 cups (625ml) macaroni
- 3 tbsp (45ml) butter
- 3 tbsp (45ml) all purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5ml) dry mustard
- ½ tsp (2ml) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) pepper
- 1 1/2 cup (375ml) milk
- 2 1/2 cup (625ml) grated cheddar cheese
- 900g (2 lbs) ground chuck
- 2 tsp (10ml) seasoning salt
- 1 tsp (5ml) garlic powder
- 1 tsp (5ml) onion powder
- ½ tsp (2ml) pepper
- Optional toppings: tomato, lettuce
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 25 minutes | Total time: 35 minutes
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add macaroni and cook for 8 minutes or until al dente or according to package directions. Drain and reserve.
- While the macaroni is cooking, in another medium pot melt the butter over medium heat being careful not to brown.
- Add flour, mustard, salt and pepper and whisk for 1 minute.
- Slowly pour in the milk, whisking constantly so no lumps form. Bring to a boil and stir for 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the cheese until melted.
- Add the drained macaroni to the sauce and stir until combined.
- Preheat BBQ to high heat.
- While the BBQ is preheating, mix the beef and seasonings in a large bowl. Divide into 4 equal portions. Being careful not to over-handle, form each portion into a burger shape.
- Grill burgers on an oiled grill over high for 10-12 minutes or until cooked through, turning occasionally.
- When the burgers are fully cooked, place 1 patty on the bottom half of a Wonder® hamburger bun. Top with a spoonful of Mac & Cheese, and garnish with your toppings of preference (tomato, lettuce etc.).
TIP: The Mac & Cheese can be fully prepared, cooled, covered and refrigerated the day before.